Saturday, December 22, 2018

EPISODE 3: THEY WERE IN LOVE?!

Piper was bored. She’d been on the boat for two days, and there was NOTHING to do. Tromping down to the cabin deck of the boat, she found herself thinking about the older couple again. After awhile, she found herself in the purser’s lounge. Was this a bad idea? Should I turn around and go home? I totally forgot to tell Ash where I was going. . . I’m going to have so much spam by the time I reach land. I wonder if Beck--

"Hello, dear.” A voice startled her out of her thoughts. Her eyes snapped to the source of the voice-- the purser from yesterday.

"Oh, heya! How’re you?” She grinned at the elderly woman.

"I’m doing wonderfully. I don’t think I caught your name yesterday. . ."

"I’m Piper! And you’re. . . Miss Bella?"

"Yes, that’s me. I was going to explain what happened yesterday."

Ooh, boy. This ought to be exciting. . .

"Fenric Denner -the man I hugged- and I were engaged.” She smiled softly at the memory. Piper’s eyes widen.

"It was—oh—fifty-some years ago. He was such a charmer. I was. . . naive."

"Can—Can I ask what happened?"

A frown crossed Miss Bella’s face. “I was already engaged. To someone else."

"WHAT.” Piper nearly choked.

Chuckling, Bella continued. “See, my parents had arranged a marriage for me with. . . another man. They never told me, until I had already accepted Fenric’s proposal."

"So you married the other guy instead?!"

"No, no. See, Fen had a plan. He suggested that I run away to California, and he’d find me. I went along with it, because I was just as in love as he was. But. . .” her lips trembled slightly. “He never came for me."

"WHAT.” Anger boiled in Piper’s chest. Why wouldn’t he come for her? How could someone ACTUALLY do that??

"And I haven’t seen him since.” Bella sighed.

"What’d. . . what’d you do? I mean, did you stay in California?"

"Yes, actually. I considered running home to my parents, but. . . that wasn’t an option. They wanted nothing to do with me. So, I got a job and made a home for myself."

"Whoa. That’s. . . amazing. Miss Bella, that’s wild.” Piper shot the lady a grin.

"Yes, it was.” Bella picked up a pair of knitting needles and began working on a bright pink scarf. “Well, I’d best get back to work, then."

Piper gave her a two-fingered salute and marched away, searching for the man who broke Miss Bella’s heart.

About an hour later, our lazy but determined hero was sitting in the cafeteria, waiting for Fenric. Even thinking about him frustrated her.

Who would just leave a young girl alone after promising to meet her? What kind of sicko. . . He was probably a con-artist. Yeah, that’s it. I’ll have to be careful; he’ll probably try to swindle me out of my wallet while we’re talking. Or beat me up and throw me over the rail. . . y’know what? He’ll probably just stab me and be done with it!

A shorter gentleman entered the cafeteria.

There he is, the serial killer. . .

The man smiled at a ferry worker and dished up some food.

I can practically SEE the evil glint in his eyes.

He sat down with his food and began eating slowly, greeting a few people as he did.

Time to make my move, before he makes his and the whole boat sinks.

Piper stood up and marched to his table, plopping down in the chair opposite of Mr. Fenric.

"Oh! Hello. . .” He said in confusion, tipping his hat.

"Salutations. I hear you used to know Miss Bella.” She narrowed her eyes.

"Yes, I did. . ."

"And I hear that you also ditched her in Cali."

"What? Oh, I suppose that she told you the story, then? Is that what she really thinks?” A look of remorse passed over his wrinkled face.

"No, she sugarcoated the whole thing. I’m here to get the real story.” Piper almost felt bad for making the gentleman sad, but she still felt for Miss Bella.

"Well. . . would you be willing to hear the rest of the story?” His tone was laced with timidity and hopefulness.

"Sure. Spill.” She crossed her legs.

He did so. Thirty minutes later, Piper had laughed, nearly cried, and been scared out of her wits.

"Wow.” She said at the end of the tale. “So, you’re saying that you were. . .on your way to Cali when you were framed for something, and were ACTUALLY running from the ACTUAL government for TWENTY FREAKIN’ YEARS??"

He nodded, finishing his now-cold soup.

"And they FINALLY stopped hunting you, after they caught the real baddie??"

Again, he nodded.

"Dude. That’s amazing. Does Miss Bella even KNOW??"

He paused, his spoon halfway to his mouth. “No."

"AND YOU DIDN’T TELL HER??” Piper’s eyes grew wide.

"No.” He resumed his consumption of lunch.

"You gotta TELL HER."

"Yes, I suppose I should. . . though I doubt she’ll believe me. . .” She realized that he’d lost hope.

"CAN I TELL HER??” Piper was only half serious.

"Well. . . I suppose so. . .” Fenric was completely serious.

Impulsively, Piper stood up and headed for the pursers office.

About ten minutes later, she had rambled through the entire story.

Miss Bella paused her knitting when Piper had finished, and there was tears in her eyes.

"You mean he didn’t abandon me?” She asked quietly.

[]-[]-[]

No comments:

Post a Comment